[cisco-voip] New System

Matthew Ballard mballard at otis.edu
Wed Jun 6 19:01:45 EDT 2012

IMO, it depends on what your likely final intentions are, and what your
plans are for setup.

There are lots of options for deployments, so you would have to figure
out what works best for you, but part of it depends on where are you
intend to deploy it.

If you want to do a central deployment, you may want to plan a system
that scale to your long term needs, which would be Unified CM and Unity
Connection, so that all initial investment can grow into the fully
deployed project, plus you will already have experience with the full
product.

If not, then CME may do just fine as well.  CME deployed at the remote
site would be an option, probably with Unity Connection, and the CME
setup could be used for SRST later as an option.

It is generally recommended to have a publisher and subscriber when
using CM, even for small deployments.  We are moving to Unified CM,
Unity Connection, and Cisco Emergency Responder on UCS hardware with
VMWare, allowing us to have two boxes that service all three products
redundantly (before 6 boxes would've been required for the redundancy
and applications, now we only need 2 once the deployment is done).

Note on SIP trunks - from what I know you will want a CUBE setup for
that.

When we started our system at Otis, we went with CME (really small
initial deployment, only about 10 users) with Unity, and kept Unity for
our full deployment later, which I recently transitioned to Unity
Connection, which worked well, although I probably would've wanted to do
Unified CM for a 200 user deployment.

Matthew Ballard

Network Manager

Otis College of Art and Design