[cisco-voip] Faxes missing lines (ATA 186 / CUCM 7.1)

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:14:56 EDT 2012

Hi list,
I have a problem with a CUCM 7.1. We have nine sites, with 2 CUCM (pub+sub)
at our main site. One of our remote offices is experiencing problems with
their ATA186 and connected fax machine.
This started late last year, while the device was connected to a VG224.
Then, some customers could not connect to two DNs attached to the VG224.
After resetting the port, reloading the vg224, changing the cables in
between, changing the fax machine, I gave up and sent them an ATA186. With
the ATA it worked way better, but now we're missing lines in the received
documents. These are fax machines that pretty much only receive faxed and
don't send any...
I have also posted this on the Cisco Support Forums (
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3587724). I was advised to check
TDM settings. They seemed OK. Also packet loss and QoS were mentioned as a
possible source of my problems. I enabled CAR on the CUCM and enabled the
QoS logging, but in the QoS report, the field "Orig. QoS" says "Good" and
the "Dest. QoS" says "N\A". We have no explicit QoS enabled on our switches.
I also checked the switchport and my Cacti installation for any errors on
the associated interfaces (ATA, Cisco 2800 voice gateway, WAN uplink to
CUCM) and they reported no errors besides some collisions on the ATA
interface.
Also, I had our carrier check the e1 connection to the PSTN, but no errors
there, either.
Attached, you can find a
* debug isdn q931 from the voice gateway (an errornous call is this: call
ref 0xDA0A, starting line 2603, calling number 272263880 for 805475),
* a pserv debug output (if I read this correctly, the errornous call should
be starting around line 761), and
* sh run on the voice gateway.

I have configured this ATA just like about 50 others throughout this
environment.
The fax machine is already configured to 9600bit/s and no ECM.

Could some expert help me shed some light on this?

Thank you very much in advance!

Philipp Bieber