[cisco-voip] Jabber4Win: Merge Directories?

Beck, Andre cisco-voip at ibh.net
Tue Nov 6 13:20:24 EST 2012

Hi,

with Jabber for Windows, both the retrieval of additional metadata for
local users (like, say, phone numbers and photos) as well as the search
for call targets (phone book style) is tied to an LDAP directory. As far
as I can see, I can specify exactly one such directory through LDAP
profile assignment on the CUP server (or manually in jabber-config.xml),
but how is this supposed to work in typical environments? I cannot imagine
everyone is pumping all their phonebook contents, which will be coming
from a CRM or similar system and be several orders of magnitude larger
than the AD user base (a 25 people business may easily have 25000 customer
contacts, and that's not the limit), into their AD just so that J4W can
find it there? That doesn't scale.

So what are the solutions which surely must exist as everyone is all the
rage about Jabber? Building a dedicated phonebook server that is fed
from both the CRM and other sources as well as from AD?

As usual, I'm probably just missing something. Pointers highly welcome.

TIA,
Andre.
--
                    Cool .signatures are so 90s...

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-