[cisco-voip] QoS and network guys

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 17:46:33 EDT 2013

I think it's fairly simple - the value of L2 QoS isn't as high as WAN.

1. L2 QoS is at least an order of magnitude more difficult. Buffers,
DSCP/COS concerns, hardware dependent, dozens of lines of configuration
(see AutoQoS outputs) potentially.
2. L2 QoS really comes into play during loops, viruses, or oversubscribed
trunk ports. These aren't that common.
3. It's quite easy to mess up or cause problems. If you forget to trust a
port, everything is 0 on many platforms. Sometimes QoS causes odd issues on
ports that would otherwise be fine. For example the default queues with
AutoQoS can cause bandwidth problems because of a more limited queue for BE
traffic compared to the default.

It's best practice and you should do it, because that's one less thing that
can cause voice quality problems. But there are valid reasons to being
hesitant to L2 QoS. I think as more video is deployed it will become more
important, since video bandwidths can start taxing uplinks and ports more
easily. And at that point the configuration isn't much different.

-nick