[cisco-voip] Boot time race condition?

chris tknchris at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 08:26:50 EDT 2014

Hello,

We have a strange sporadic issue that crops up every once in a while that I
vaguely remember seeing something on the list a ways back.

There is a small site which has a 2811 running ipvoice 15.1(3)T4, and every
few months the local isp CPE glitches for one reason or another and the end
users at the site simply power cycle all network equipment.

We have a NM-HDA module installed for some legacy analog devices and the
issue we have is every so often after a reboot, the users will report that
the analog devices have no dialtone. There hasnt been on any configuration
changes in a very long time and this issue doesnt happen on every boot or
even on a predictable set number of $x reboots.

When we login into the router everything looks ok, module shows up in show
inventory and show diag, the config looks correct and when we diff it to a
recent backup theres no differences. We also have tried removing the
voice-port config and re-applying it which doesnt work either.

The only thing that will fix it is another power cycle. I thought I
remembered reading a post about some kind of boot time race condition when
initializing modules, not sure if its specific to 2811 or whole 2800 series.

Anyone seen anything like this? We can try updating IOS however we are a
little reluctant as the previous IOS we had we were bit by a number of bugs
and this one has been very solid other than this minor annoyance.

TIA,
chris