[cisco-voip] Emergency Communication

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 17 12:39:55 EDT 2014

The "intercom" function would work in that manner, one-way but I don't know if you can speed dial it. There could be a panic speed dial that dials to an auto-answer destination with the receiver muted/disconnected,  but neither of these options would be great for simultaneous calls. I don't believe the paging solution would fix that, though the multicast audio streams can mix, it wouldn't be very helpful.

I can't think of anything great out of the box that accomplishes this, but the tools and pieces are certainly there.

Our elevators and other emergency locations have "Call box" type phones that can be used for silent monitoring, but without dispatch knowing to call to it for monitoring, a call from the device is answered audibly. Some of the security camera solutions also allow you to run contact closures, which will trigger camera positioning or alerts at your dispatch centers. At that point triggering an audio transmit from the phone to gather ambient audio may make more sense.

It would really depend on what you're trying to accomplish, as though you're protecting a bank/transactional area, or just generally trying to arrange for people to shout at the police.

Adam P