[cisco-voip] Phones migration from CUCM5 cluster to CUCM10 cluster with security enabled

José Paulo de Oliveira Petry petrybr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 10:48:48 EST 2014

Hello folks,

Im planning a migration from a CUCM5 cluster that is in "Mixed Mode" to a
newly deployed CUCM10.5. It is about 2k phones in nearly 30 locations.

Phone models (All Cisco) and qty:
7911 - +-1100
7941 - +-500
7960 - +-100
ATA186 - +-200
7970 - +-30
7921 - 10
7962 - 2

Im looking for the best way to accomplish this. So, if you can help with
your experience/knowledge, it will be more than welcome! :)

Im planning:

* Do the migration in "phases", so I will move "groups" of phones each
time, confirm it is working and go to the next "group" of phones
* I will maintain the same firmware the phones has today during the
migration, and upgrade it after the migration.
* I want to do less configuration changes in CUCM5 as possible, as it is
not covered by warranty/TAC today

My main concern is about the Security that is configured today on CUCM5. It
is in "Mixed Mode" and near all phones are with Device Profile configured
to "Encrypted" mode today.

So, in your opinion, what is the best option for this migration:

Option 1) Disable the security/encryption on CUCM5, migrate to CUCM10 and
then enable security/encryption on CUCM10 after the migrations complete

* As im thinking to migrate the phones in "phases" im thinking to disable
the security only in the phones i'm migrating
* Can I do that? Is it easy as change the "Device Security Profile" in the
device to a Non-Secure one and apply it?

Option 2) Configure CUCM10 to "Mixed Mode" (using the same eTokens that was
used on CUCM5) and migrate the phones.

How to do that:
* Execute the CTL Client (the version available in CUCM10.5), and select
"Update CTL File"
* Insert CUCM10.5 information
* Restart "CallManager" and "TFTP" Services on CUCM10 cluster
* Change the TFTP of the phone to CUCM10 TFTP Server
* Phones will trust on CUCM10 because im using the same eTokens (keys)

Correct? Any other thing to consider?

Option 3) Other suggestion?

What are your considerations?

Thanks in advance