[cisco-voip] Cisco Jabber for Windows/MAC in Phone Only Mode

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 13:33:10 EDT 2014

Hi David,

I have not completed a phone only deployment yet, but I have been reading
quite a bit of documentation (and there's a lot) on Jabber recently.  I
tend to skip over the phone only sections as it doesn't apply to me, but
since I've seen it mentioned quite a few times, I thought I'd go back in
and see what I can find for you.

To begin with, Phone Mode can be deployed with either SRV records or manual
configuration still.  You can see that in the following table:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber_chapter_011.html#JABW_RF_RC2A6191_00

But also note that the table only lists the "recommended" methods of:
discovery and install switches. Likely because either one is scalable on a
large deployment. But, there is still the manual method which puts the
burden on the users:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber_chapter_011.html#JABW_CN_C38385A8_00

If you did want to use the SRV method, the following link talks about it
and even gives an example with multiple CUCM's for redundancy:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber_chapter_011.html#JABW_CN_CB9D0849_00

If you needed to know how to create the SRV records in Win2k3 DNS admin, it
would be like this:

Right click your Forward Zone name and select Other New Record to pick SRV
as the type (this will create the _tcp folder for you if not already
present).

Note that you have to manually type in the _cisco-uds as it will not be
available from the drop down.  The protocol is _tcp.

Then you provision your SRV record like the Cisco documentation suggests.
Don't forget you need a Host record for your CUCM's for the SRV record to
reference.

I hope that helps.