[cisco-voip] MGCP Odd issue

Barry Howser bhowser5050 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:44:49 EDT 2015

So I've had an MGCP/T1 gateway up and running with CCM, happy as a clam for
several weeks.

Then all of the sudden today it stopped passing inbound communication.
Egress works just fine, but ingress rings once then a fast busy.

In the ISDN logs I get "mandatory information element missing".

I am using; EF, BZ8S, Primary-ni (which is telco settings). Again
everything WAS fine. After some research I found that error to mean that
the CCM side kicked the call back to the gateway because it didn't get
everything it needed in the header.

A proposed suggestion was to use a different switch-type. So in the
CCM/Gateway/PRI config page, I changed the switch type to PRI-4ESS ->
Saved/Applied/Reset (then restarted mgcp on the gateway) and presto,
ingress is now working.

If I reverse the process and go back to the Primary-ni in the
CCM/Gateway/PRI config, I get the same problem with ingress again.

Can anyone explain this to me? Does it sound like my telco changed
something? Seems like something with MGCP is goofed right? Is this
something that a telco would just arbitrarily change?

Thanks