[cisco-voip] Upgrading our "phone wall"

Nathan Richardson nrichardson at gci.com
Wed Jun 22 15:17:21 EDT 2016

My team at our company manages Cisco UC deployments for various customers. A while back we setup a "phone wall", which is basically what it sounds like. There are about 20 phones and each phone is registered to a different CM cluster/customer system. This a really great resource for testing and troubleshooting, but I want to try and make this remotely accessible or setup something new that we can use remotely. I have some team members that work from home and our tier 1 support folks are in a different area of the building. Also, there will be some upcoming remodeling that will be removing walls so we won't have the wall-space for all the phones. Right now all phones are connected to the same switch and we use VLANs to keep the various customer networks separate.

Do any of you folks do anything like this in your environments, or have any ideas/suggestions?

My thought so far is to keep the physical phones, but move them to a lab room somewhere. Then put in a video conference camera so we can see what the phone is doing hear/talk to the phone on speaker. We could use some phone remote control software to interact with the phone buttons, but that may be tricky because of the network separation.

We could also go virtual and setup VM's running IP communicator, but getting the audio to work is complicated in that scenario (at least when I've tried this in the past).

-Nathan Richardson