[cisco-voip] Trouble Getting 8831 to register

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Mon Jun 27 21:57:47 EDT 2016

Hello Thomas,

I have prepared a few thoughts for you below.

  *   If auto-registration is disabled within the cluster, the device configuration has to be manually added into the cluster first. Without auto-registration or having been manually added first, registration attempts will result is a "rejected" status in Communications Manager's Device->Phone page and the device itself will seem to be in an endless boot<->reboot sequence. You can reference this on page 49 of <http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8831/10_3_1/english/AdminGuide/CS38_BK_AD57597A_00_adminguide-8831.pdf> the Cisco Unified IP Conference Phone 8831 Administration Guide for Cisco Unified Communications Manager 10.0<http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8831/10_3_1/english/AdminGuide/CS38_BK_AD57597A_00_adminguide-8831.pdf>

  *   You mentioned it showed "rejected" before you connected it to the network. Was this phone's registration attempted once already? You may find that deleting the phone configuration and then adding it back in will do the trick. Again, assuming auto-registration is disabled.

  *   Is this a new, out-of-the box device or was this device previously registered to a different system/cluster? If the device is not new, but new to this cluster, you may need to remove the device's Initial Trust List (ITL) file (Admin Settings -> Reset Settings -> Security) before it will successfully register to this cluster.

  *   If auto-registration is enabled in the cluster, is there still "DN room" available? By that I mean that when a phone auto-registers, a DN is automatically assigned to the device from a range specified in the cluster nodes at System->Cisco Unified CM. Typically after a device is registered, the auto-registered DN is exchanged for a different DN. Often times the original auto-registered DN (now orphaned) is not removed from the cluster. Over time, this can end up exhausting the range of DNs used for auto-registration. If this happens, it will result in subsequent auto-registration attempts showing a "rejected" status in the cluster's Device->Phone page.

     *   In this case, you would manually create the device configuration with a valid DN or remove some of the orphaned (unassigned) auto-registration DNs (Call Routing->Route Plan Report Find Unassigned DN).

Thanks,

Ryan