[cisco-voip] Cisco IM & Presence 11 5.1 SU2 corrupt install with 2nd server

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Fri Aug 25 10:30:45 EDT 2017

Ordinarily I'd say work with TAC however, on install issues if the problem isn't a glaringly obvious config issue TAC is probably going to need you to pull logs and packet captures so they can read them. Sometimes, its much easier to do that yourself; or at the very least have the logs and captures ready before opening the TAC case.

First off; I'd try to dump the install logs to a file using the serial port method and try to decipher the errors. Here are some instructions on how to capture logs on a fresh install: https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/dumping-cucm-fresh-install-logs-virtualization/ta-p/3148966

Beyond that, here are a couple of things to try/verify ....

1.) CUCM PUB

  *
Make sure you are not committing one of the original sins: From CLI, utils diagnose test
     *   NTP at Stratum 3 or better (and no MS Windows based NTP servers ... very strange things may/usually happen if you violate this rule)
     *   DNS fully resolvable in both directions for all cluster nodes
  *   Verify you don't have any unnoticed replication issues: From CLI, utils dbreplication runtimestate
  *   Delete the secondary IMP server reference in System>Server
     *   Restart CM services on all CUCM cluster nodes or just reboot each CUCM server (maintenance window as needed)
     *   Reboot the IMP primary
     *   Re add the IMP secondary reference back in under System server (make sure you add it as an IMP node and not a voice/video node ... sounds obvious but you'd be surprised)
  *   During the next installation attempt of this server, do a packet capture from CUCM Pub's and IMP Primary's CLI, during the whole time of the IMP secondary server installation attempt. Instructions for packet captures are here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/packet-capture-on-cucm-appliance-model/ta-p/3118507

2.) Virtual Host

  *
Verify the virtual host server is using NTP (preferably the same reference clock that CUCM pub is using)
  *
Verify there are in-fact enough reserved compute resources for this node, on this virtual host (no over subscription of resources)
  *   Disable LRO on the virtual host .... I know I know, supposedly not an issue with RedHat/UCOS after ESXi 4 ... but it can still cause issues. Admittedly, you'd likely have issues with other UC servers if LRO was the problem BUT - when chasing phantoms, you have to look in all the dark corners

3.) Networking

  *
Do you have other UC servers on the network you're trying to put this IMP node on?
     *
If not, I'd revivify everything on this network; latency, window size, any restrictive port ACLs, any firewall that might be doing packet filtering/inspection... etc
     *
If you do, verify any ACLs in the path that are inclusive only to hosts and not the network (making sure any new UC IP addresses are allowed) .. etc

-RH