[cisco-voip] Operating Phones with Logged out EM Profiles

Nathan Reeves nathan.a.reeves at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 02:53:41 EDT 2017

Running through some ideas in my lab and just trying to see whether I could
operate a setup with phones by default setup with a logged out EM Profile,
essentially making the phone a permanent setup, but allowing the
maintenance of a single record (the EM Profile).

Things seem to work ok, but I'm just trying to run through and find any
possible issues.  In terms of my notes so far:

   -
   -  EM Profile loaded as the default logged out profile needs to be
   specific to the model of phone.  You can still use the profile to login to
   other phones not of the same type via the Phone Services Menu.
   -  Changes made to the Device profile settings require a logout / login
   of the profile to the phone.  Achieve this by unchecking the 'Enable EM'
   checkbox, save the change, then recheck the box and save again.
   -  Jabber CTI Phone control still works (assuming you've associated the
   UDP to the user as per standard).
   -  Querying the Extension Mobility logged in report doesn't show the
   profile as logged in when used in the logged out profile role.
   -  Same results on EM Query when running against the EMServicability API
   (nothing marked as logged into the device).
   -  Can be a hassle finding out which phone has the profile active in the
   logged out capability.  Had to use the Dependancy Records option to trace
   things down.
   - This is probably the biggest hassle from an admin perspective.  Can be
      worked around by keeping desc field updated with the DN but
that'll end up
      getting missed by people as they update things.
      - Would probably look at a scheduled job to update phone descriptions
      via AXL I was to use with using this setup.

Can anyone think of possible issues with this kind of setup?

Thanks

Nathan