[cisco-voip] Separate cluster for third party SIP clients with SIP/ICT trunk to production

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 16:16:46 EDT 2019

What is this pass and map CSS info thing you've mentioned twice now?
That's not something I've ever heard of.  Have you seen that done before,
or maybe read it somewhere?  I know here are times where more data can be
transmitted over a SIP/ICT trunk; like in GeoLocation or Anti Tromboning,
but I've just never heard of this with CSS/Partitions.

Let's just say it's not possible for sake of argument.  Then, you could
pass a prefix to the called number, and using translation patterns on the
terminating cluster, you could switch the CSS.

E.g., On Net Remote Cluster

Originating Cluster
Phone CSS is Whatever
Phone dials On Net Pattern e.g., 4000
On Net Pattern prefixes *#*00 and routes to SIP trunk (*#*004000)

Terminating Cluster
CSS on SIP trunk matches *#*00.! xlate
Xlate strips *#*00 and sets CSS to On Net (4000)
Correct pattern now gets matched as if phone was local to this cluster

E.g., Local

Originating Cluster
Phone CSS is Local
Phone dials Local Pattern e.g., \+16125551212
Local Pattern strips + and prefixes *#*01 and routes to SIP trunk
(*#*0116125551212)

Terminating Cluster
CSS on SIP trunk matches *#*01.! xlate
Xlate strips *#*01, adds plus, and sets CSS to Local (+16125551212)
Correct pattern now gets matched as if phone was local to this cluster

E.g., National

Originating Cluster
Phone CSS is National
Phone dials National Pattern e.g., \+13055551212
National Pattern strips + prefixes *#*02 and routes to SIP trunk
(*#*13055551212)

Terminating Cluster
CSS on SIP trunk matches *#*02.! xlate
Xlate strips *#*02, adds plus, and sets CSS to National (+13055551212)
Correct pattern now gets matched as if phone was local to this cluster

And I think that illustrates the point, barring any typos I might have made.

You would then be able to support 100 CSS mappings with this model.. Choose
a prefix which makes sense for you, but if the SIP CSS on the terminating
Cluster only can access prefixed patterns, then it could literally be
anything you want.

On the topic of the BE6K, just like others have stated, it's the same level
of effort as "normal" CUCM...because it is a normal CUCM.  A BE6KS is too,
for what that's worth, however a BE4K is completely different and cloud
managed like a meraki device.  You might find that the implementation of
the BE6K is easier for two reasons: 1) Your expectations for it to perform
for you are lower than your production cluster, 2) Managing the VMware side
of it might be easier because it's more of an appliance, and less of a
datacenter object. (E.g., no UCS manager, and no vCenter requirements).

On the topic of just looking at this as a "good idea" I do think that it is
a good idea.  In fact, this idea is very similar to what UCCE deployments
are typically like, where the entire UCCE environment gets its own  CUCM
cluster, separate from the non- Contact Center users and devices.  Or how
you might have an entire VCS/Expressway cluster for registering your video
devices.  Or heck, what's starting to become popular and cloud register all
of your video devices, so you can get rid of on-premise telepresence all
together.  I think this plan of yours falls right inline with those other
scenarios.