[ednog] Walled gardens & anycast (oh my!)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Apr 8 09:12:18 EDT 2005

As mentioned UMN is deploying MPLS in our campus network.
We are using to provide separate routing domains with different
policies without requiring separate infrastructure or requiring l2
across the entire campus infrastructure.  The easy example is
ResNet.

That is the primary reason, but there are nice side effects, though.
We are now able to convert our security video VLAN to a VRF and
have routing in to, so when things break it is much easier to debug.

Any way, how could we not deploy a technology with an
abbreviation like MPLS.  A major part of our Twin Cities campus is
in Minneapolis.  For those of you not from the upper midwest, Mpls
is a common abbreviation for Minneapolis.  A fact that is of
unending amusement to the IETF when ever they are in town. Man,
us network geeks are lame. :)

David Farmer				Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota			Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			Cell:	612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		FAX:	612-624-4035