[ednog] Walled gardens & anycast (oh my!)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Apr 8 10:19:07 EDT 2005

We are doing both, with a preference on L3-VPNs, but we have
some L2-VPNs mostly to support the transition of legacy solutions.
The security video VLAN is transitioning to L3-VPN, but it is still
mostly L2 at this time.

But we will be adding a new L2-VPN to connect an AS400 to the
Mainframe using SNA over Ethernet. This will eliminate a fiber
Token Ring installed in 1985, those lasers are getting old.  We
could have used DLSw, but that would have required a small router
deployed near the AS400.  This solution the AS400 plugs into the
normal infrastructure, nothing extra to deploy and we get network
management visibility.  Right now the only way we know the Token
Ring is down is when they start yelling.

David Farmer				Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota			Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			Cell:	612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		FAX:	612-624-4035