[e-nsp] Super strange issue

Aaron Wendel aaron at wholesaleinternet.com
Tue Oct 30 13:42:41 EDT 2007

Thanks for the reply,

>The first thing that comes to mind is a
>broadcast storm. Are you sure
>there are no L2 loops in your topology?

Here's a rough flow:

Internet -- BD6808(1) -- BD6808(2) -- Other stuff

There are no L2 loops.  Both BD's are connected by a single piece of fiber.
In addition all the ports are on separate VLANs and the boxes are routing
between those VLANs.

>What is the box connected to?

See above

>Are you running any QoS, ping is
>a very bad method of determining
>traffic behaviors as it is always Best Effort.

No QOS.  Yes, I understand that Ping is a bad indication, especially on an
Extreme box.  What it indicated though is the spike in CPU utilization which
is what I'm most concerned about.

>You talk about a outside box, I assume
>this is a client connected to the
>switch. Is it possible to run mirroring on
>that port and observe the
>traffic patterns when the ping times spike?

This is my next step.  I think I've narrowed it down to a loop that's
created when a VLAN drops off the network.  Packets bounce between the two
routers.  I'm about 70% sure this is what's causing it.  That every 30
minutes something is scanning my network and every vlan that's not active is
bouncing.

Aaron