[e-nsp] Lots of "Rx Error" when running "show iparp"

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 17:44:41 EDT 2010

> I have an X450 switch with lots of servers connected to it. Some servers
> have shown strange behaviour when it comes to the ethernet link towards the
> switch.

What kind of behaviour have you noticed?

> When I run the: "show iparp" I noticed there is a lot of "RX Error" and the
> counter just keeps getting higher and higher.
> Can anyone explain what this counter means?

>From EXOS Command Reference:
"The number of incorrect ARP request and reply packets received. The
malformed packets include the following errors: incorrect ARP op code,
hardware address type is not Ethernet, the protocol address is not IP, and
similar errors."

> Is it possible to see which port is causing the counter to rise?
> What is usually the cause for this kind of problem?

I would have a look at ALL your interfaces and make sure you are not
seeing errors incrementing.
My guess is you will see bad CRC errors, in which case you should look
at cabling and connections.
Are you seeing flaps?