[f-nsp] using

Bruce Rodger Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk
Thu Sep 30 16:04:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Alex Sharaz wrote:

> Hi chaps,
>
> quick question about tftp'ing config files off foundry kit onto a tftp
> server.

Hi Alex,

it's not really answering your question, but I've been using "rancid"
(http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/) to back up all our foundry kit for
over a year. It's a tool to backup and archive configs, and it works
really well. It has modules for Foundry, Cisco, HP and many others.

Basically, it remotely logs on to each device regularly  - I do it
every hour - and grabs a copy of the config, and also the output from
show flash,show module,show chassis,show version

It then compares this with the previous result - if they're the same it
takes no further action, if anything has changed it (a) stores the
changes in a CVS archive, and (b) mails you the diffs.

So you always have a copy of all current configs, can roll back to any
previous version, and it's obvious when any config changes get made.

Another trick you may find useful is that you can remotely "trigger" a
tftp config save via SNMP. I have some code to do this - the relevant
lines are:

              # Transfer startup and running config to tftp host

                # The OIDs and some Foundry SNMP trickery are documented here:
                # http://www.notarus.net/networking/foundry_snmp.html
                /usr/local/bin/snmpset -v 1 $hostip $community \
                        '.1.3.6.1.4.1.1991.1.1.2.1.5.0' a $tftphost \
                        '.1.3.6.1.4.1.1991.1.1.2.1.8.0' s $config \
                        '.1.3.6.1.4.1.1991.1.1.2.1.9.0' i $int

where $hostip is the foundry IP, $community is the SNMP community,
$tftphost is the Ip address of the server, $config is the filename to
save on the server and $int is either 22 for running-config or 20 for
startup-config.

Bruce.

--
Bruce Rodger                      |Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk  PGP key available