[f-nsp] Disabling debug?

Bruce Rodger Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 18:24:03 EST 2006

> >>They exist because there are situations in which you need them.
> >Could you just name *one* in real life?

Debugging something bizarre on a device with virtually no load. I
agree you'd never use "debug all" on a production system.

More importantly, if we didn't have the "debug all" command, we may
have trouble implementing the far more useful "no debug all" command
:-)

Virtually every major IT device that I've ever used has "dangerous
commands".  Nobody is forced to use them. Of course, a well designed
system will have these commands protected or slightly hidden, to
prevent them being used in error. But the fact that they are dangerous is
no reason not to provide them. We're supposed ton be professionals, after all...

The most extreme example I can think of regarding a "dangerous command"
was a model of router that once formed the core of our network. Within
the GUI, it had a button marked "Disable IP". Pressing this button had
two effects. Not only did it turn your router into a brick, it disabled
your management interface, so it became an unmanageable brick. The only
way tonreset it was by turning off the power. Not really a very useful
button. But I'm sure someone had an occasion where it was needed.

The worst thing about that particular router was that the "Disable IP"
button was right beside the "Disable Interface" button. And both had
the same "Are you sure" message - so it was not unkown for people to
turn the router into a brick by mistake...

--
Bruce Rodger                      |Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk  PGP key available
Network Manager, IT Services      |http://www.strath.ac.uk/IT/People/bruce.html