[f-nsp] Looking for throughput infos

Kristian Larsson kristian at spritelink.se
Thu Sep 14 15:46:57 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 08:00:54PM +0200, Gerald Krause wrote:
> On Thursday 14 September 2006 19:28, Kristian Larsson wrote:
> > Depending on how many flows it needs to insert/remove per second you
> > throughput will drop drastically.
>
> Yes and a great bunch of packets to drop (e.g. for unreachable destinations)
> will do the same because drop'ing uses the CAM as I understand (as a special
> kind of flow).
Kinda.

Destinations with a next-hop of null0 are handled
by the CPU, this is pretty strange behaviour if
you ask me. Not only does the CPU have to send an
ICMP unreachable, it also must handle the actual
packet.
ip hw-drop-on-def-route
fixes it, if I can recall correctly. It does not,
as the command might suggest, only apply to the
default route but to all routes that have null0 as
nexthop.

We are moving away from Foundry in favour of Cisco
6500 with Sup32s which really packs a punch, has a
lot more features and on top of it is cheaper than
our old BI4ks. I recommend everyone else to do the
same.

> > We have used and still use BI4ks for routing 'on
> > the Internet' and it's working. From time to time,
> > the CAM is programmed with a faulty entry. Some
> > packets are misrouted and so forth.
>
> Oh yeah, just occurred some days ago (NI400, v08.0.00): route learned via OSPF
> but no proper CAM entry was created - so we have to configure the route
> with "ip route ..." locally on the system. :[
Know just the thing. It's a bitch.

--
Kristian Larsson                                   KLL-RIPE
Network Engineer                      Net at Once [AS35706]
+46 704 910401			     kristian at spritelink.se