[f-nsp] Looking for throughput infos

Gerald Krause gk at ax.tc
Thu Sep 14 16:30:37 EDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 21:46, you wrote:
> Destinations with a next-hop of null0 are handled
> by the CPU, this is pretty strange behaviour if
> you ask me. Not only does the CPU have to send an
> ICMP unreachable, it also must handle the actual
> packet.
> ip hw-drop-on-def-route
> fixes it, if I can recall correctly. It does not,
> as the command might suggest, only apply to the
> default route but to all routes that have null0 as
> nexthop.

Ah, ok. So only with "ip hw-drop-on-def-route" the CAM will be used to drop
those packets.

> We are moving away from Foundry in favour of Cisco
> 6500 with Sup32s which really packs a punch, has a
> lot more features and on top of it is cheaper than
> our old BI4ks. I recommend everyone else to do the
> same.

Ack. But how about the MLX? If Foundry has made his homework well the new
systems should be much more better then the legacy ironcore/jetcore stuff
because all the nasty and *obvious* problems has been reported so often that
I can't believe that Foundry doesn't take note of it (unless they still do
not position their gear in the internetworking area but only in the layer2
and metro services scope).

--
Gerald    (ax/tc)