[f-nsp] Load balancing DNS servers on a ServerIron 8XL

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Sep 27 15:59:16 EDT 2006

    Howdy list, been using foundry load balancers for quite some time.
I'm having a hard time understanding one issue.
pertinent config:

server real DNS1 10.1.0.2
 port dns
!
server real DNS2 10.1.0.3
 port dns

server virtual DNS 192.168.0.89
 predictor round-robin
 port dns
 bind dns DNS1 dns DNS2 dns

pretty straightforward right?

OK, well I was looking at the real server stats and I noticed that DNS1
had 37 active connections whilst DNS2 had 781 active connections all of
the servers/pcs/devices are set to use 192.168.0.89 as their resolver,
so why is there such a hugely unproportinate number of connections
hitting DNS2?

Thanks!

-Drew