[f-nsp] Load balancing DNS servers on a ServerIron 8XL

p.ramesh p_ramesh at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 27 16:40:38 EDT 2006

That's because you have the default load-balacing predictor as least-connection ( you wont see in the config, because this is default).

  dns connections are usually short-lived, connections get closed pretty fast. First connections goes to DNS2. by the time second connections comes, there are no existing connections on any of the 2 servers, so Foundry decided to forward the request to DNS2 because of least-connection predictor. least connections looks at currently how many total number of connections are handled by any server

  Now, configure "server predictor round-robin", you are at peace and see both servers taking equal number of connections. round-robin is dumb, first connection go to DNS1, next time go to DNS2, third request take it to DNS1, and fourth one goes to DNS2.

  Foundry is coming out with powerful ServerIron 4G(read 4 Gig ports) with SSL support, better upgrade to that, its pretty cheap.

  -Ramesh

  Hope
Tom Samplonius <tom at uniserve.com> wrote:

DNS2 might be too slow to respond, or lost a few hundred requests.

>From reading the docs, the SI has special handling for DNS requests. It
removes the connection immediately after the response is processed. So if there
is no response, the connection will stay around until it is aged. So if DNS2
just discarded a bunch of requests, they would sit around as connections.

Tom