[f-nsp] BGP Core GigE reccomendation

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Fri Sep 14 20:12:02 EDT 2007

* khunt at huntbrothers.com (W. Kevin Hunt) [Fri 14 Sep 2007, 21:58 CEST]:
[..]
>they have a FastIron 400 with the GMR4 JetCore blade and a B4000 with the
>BXGMR-4 8 port Gig E blade.  The initial specs I have been able to pull seem

These devices will forward frames (or packets) fine but will melt
horribly when more than a certain amount of pps happens to get sent
to its CPU for processing.  e.g. when you're under DoS attack and the
router itself is targeted.

Recent software versions have more protection features than from ~3
years ago (they can be configured to enable hardware flooding for
unknown unicast, for example, if the CPU load is high) but they still
die easily.  IronCore much more so than JetCore, for architectural
reasons.

>I see many complaints about older Foundry code having issues with BGP and
>OSPF, I assume these are now stable ?

"Issues" is too vague to give any useful reply to.

[..]
>I tried to read Foundry's literature, but it appears one must have a login
>to their web page to read such super secret documentation...

Yes, rather retarded.

	-- Niels.