[f-nsp] SuperX questions

Ryan Harden hardenrm at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 4 08:28:51 EST 2008

You can find a description of the SuperX/SX Management Modules here,
under 'System Options'

http://www.foundrynet.com/products/enterprise/agg-bb-l23/fi-superx.html

The M1 and M2 cards are for the SuperX (single only), M3 and M4 are for
the SX800/SX1600 (single/dual).

Alexander Koch wrote:
> I have a question on the SuperX with all the options one has available... I
> like the SuperX bundle (FI-SX1-84GC-AC) quite a bit, it gives lots of copper
> ports and some combo ports. However, I understand it has only one management
> module. Two management modules are working only with the SX-800, and that
> are the Management-2 cards, right? I guess I could go for the SX-800 and try
> to use the SX-FI12GM2-4 cards?
>
> Can anyone give some clues on whether I really want to go all the way and
> go Super-X with two management cards, or just stick with the SuperX bundle
> and hope for the best? There is quite a price difference to it of course.
> Any feedback is appreciated. No Layer3 needed really, just L2 and that's it.

This seems to be more of a question of application. If your application
requires high availability then the SX is for you, if not, the SuperX is
just fine.

As far as Layer2 switches, these boxes are solid. We have a bunch in
high profile applications that have run without issue barring a few bad
power supplies here and there.

SideNote: Foundry differentiates between the single management module
version and dual management module version by calling the former
"FastIron SuperX" and the latter "FastIron SX." However, both are
considered part of the "Super-X" family and use 'SX' in their part
numbers, which is confusing at times. We've mixed them up a few times
when acquiring quotes, etc.