[f-nsp] Odd CPU spikes on Jetcore BI4K, IP level

Bardo Cornelissen b.cornelissen at caveo.nl
Wed Oct 15 04:23:00 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I'm facing an odd issue causing high CPU load on a Jetcore BI4K, with for
what seems to be caused in a ip transit uplink.

We are running BGP on multiple jetcore BigIrons. Now there are 3 border
routers which each have an ip transit uplink. After some time (a day or
sometimes more like a week) we see a high CPU load and it doesn't stop until
we shutdown the BGP session with one of these carriers. So far we have seen
2 crashes which may have been caused by this.

So we moved that carrier to a different router (same model), replaced the
used SFP, upgraded the software on the router but nothing solves the
problem. Also our carrier relocated the port to a complete different switch
and router, but still no luck. My carrier double checked everything over and
over and with their reputation it's most unlikely they would be failing
here.

Now the load is on IP level when issuing a 'sh proc cpu' command and NOT on
the BGP level.

I hope someone somehow has ever seen a situation alike and found the issue,
or maybe has some recommendations on how to debug this. Maybe someone knows
any additional configuration that may help me out here.

The concerned config is:
!
vlan 20 name TRANSIT-BGP by port
 untagged ethe 1/1
 router-interface ve 20
!
interface ethernet 1/1
 route-only
 no spanning-tree
 sflow forwarding
!
interface ve 20
 ip address ???.???.???.??? 255.255.255.252
 no ip redirect
 ip arp-age 120
!

Thanks in advance for any help and efforts!

Kind regards,

Bardo Cornelissen.
Caveo Internet BV