[f-nsp] Load balancing across sties on one real server

Derek Maurer dmaurer at opentext.com
Thu Oct 30 13:28:20 EDT 2008

What I've described is a much more simpliflied version of what I'm doing
in reality, but this layout follow the same concept of what I was trying
to do (healthcheck and actual details of the configuration not listed
here).  On the physical server, each website is serving the same content
(there's an underlying application for each website with limited number
of threads, which is the reason load balancing 3 of the same websites
from one server make any kind of sense).

Physical Server
IP 192.168.1.5, port 10000 (website1), port 10010 (website2), port 10020
(website3).

Foundry setup
Real Server r1: port 10000; port 10010; port 10020
Virtual Server: predictor round-robin, bind http r1 10000 r1 10010 r1
10020

Setup this way, only the real server port 10000 will see any traffic,
unless port 10000 is unavailable due to the healthcheck failing.  I
haven't tried yet, but I'm assuming if I put 2 more IP addresses on the
physical server and assign website2 an website3 to them, configure 2 new
real servers one for each website (2 & 3) and bind those, load balancing
is going to work properly. Ie:

Physical Server (still one server, but multiple IPs)
IP 192.168.1.5 port 10000 (website1), IP 192.168.1.6 port 10010
(website2), IP 192.168.1.7 port 10020 (website3).

Foundry setup
Real Server r1: port 10000
Real Server r2: port 10010
Real Server r3: port 10020
Virtual Server: predictor round-robin, bind http r1 10000 r2 10010 r3
10020

I guess I'm just trying to confirm that when the documentation said the
predictor directs traffic across 'real servers', they actually ment
configured real servers and that load balancing using round-robin or
least-connections will not work unless there's multiple IP addresses
being bound (not just multiple ports on the same IP).

DRM