[f-nsp] Question about MLX/XMR capabilities

Allan Eising allan.eising at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 06:21:02 EST 2009

Dimitar,

My routers will connect to a number of different access providers, and we
have found it very difficult to make our access providers choose vlans that
don't overlap with each other. Also, one of our access providers are
delivering all circuits QinQ encapsulated, so there *will* be overlap there
as well (but only on the outer vlan).

I hope that clarifies it.

If we didn't have this provider, that terminates with QinQ encapsulation, my
solution would have been to add a PVLAN, but since I've never seen equipment
that handles QinQinQ, it's not an option.

How does the MLX/XMR handle QinQ by the way? Since this is an unusual way of
dealing with QinQ, let me exemplerize a bit:

Normal QinQ approach would be one outer VLAN to a customer, where you would
typically have a voice vlan and a data vlan inside your outer vlan.
We have one access provider that gives us circuits with two vlan tags with
no apparent system. On a cisco router, I would configure a link like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.152012
 encapsulation dot1q 1520 second-dot1q 12
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
 service-policy what-ever-I-want
!

How would I do that on a Netiron?