[f-nsp] Link Aggregation between Foundry and Cisco

Joseph Hardeman jwhardeman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:11:49 EST 2011

On 1/7/2011 7:34 PM, Scott T. Cameron wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Joseph Hardeman <jwhardeman at gmail.com
> <mailto:jwhardeman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Everyone,
>
>     I am having a bit of an issue, I have gotten a pair of Cisco
>     6509's with the SUP-720 engines.  I am trying to configure link
>     aggregation between one of these to a BI4000 I have to test with
>     before we put them into production and connect them to our
>     BI8000's and fight this problem then.  I have been searching and
>     looking at the docs I have.  The configuration I have on the
>     Cisco's allow them to talk over the port channels between each
>     other with no issues.
>
>     I can setup the command "link-aggregation active" on port "ethe
>     1/5" with no issues it takes the command, but when I go to add a
>     test VLAN on to that port I get the following error message:
>
>     error - some ports are running LACP and can not be tagged ports.
>
>     Here is the command I am running on the BI:
>
>     test(config)#int e 1/5
>     test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#link-aggregate configure key 10000
>     test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#link-aggregate active
>     test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#exit
>     test(config)#vlan 14
>     test(config-vlan-14)#tagged e 1/5
>     error - some ports are running LACP and can not be tagged ports.
>

> I run this very config on FESX648 to Catalyst and SuperX to Catalyst
> without any problems.  Are you running ancient code?
>
> Scott
Hi Scott,

Oh yeah, its pretty old, from 2004.  I was testing with this system
since I had it laying around, I just don't want to try to connect it up
to the switches and other BI's just to run into this problem and have it
fark out on me like this.  Guess, we will have to give it a shot with
the other systems once we put the Cisco's in and if I can't pass any
traffic or get the same errors then we will tear down the port-channel
config on the cisco's and figure another alternative out.

But since this is the same configuration that I am finding and everyone
else is using, then by all rights it should work.

Thanks for the response.

Joe