[f-nsp] Cannot ping VRRP IP when backup active

Tamas Csillag tcsillag at interware.hu
Mon May 14 16:39:01 EDT 2012

As I know, VRRP does not support icmp echo replies on the virtual IP.
The owner replies because it has a physical interface with the same IP,
however if a backup becomes active, it'll only have the virtual IP, so
it won't answer.
One of the things Brocade always announces about it's VRRP-E is that it
always replies to ping.
Most vendors provide a config statement to enable pinging the virtual
IP, but that's not strictly following the RFC.

Tamas