[f-nsp] Link Aggregation on ICX 6450

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Mon Mar 25 14:49:23 EDT 2013

* drew.weaver at thenap.com (Drew Weaver) [Mon 25 Mar 2013, 19:41 CET]:
>Ah, I just noticed that it configured one port as primary and one
>port as secondary and it appears to be using only one of them.

That's Foundry terminology.  The first port is the primary port, all
additional ports are labeled secondary.  This has no influence on
traffic balancing.

>Currently I am running iperf from 1 virtual machine inside of the
>server connected to 1/1/40 & 1/1/41 to multiple VMs which reside on
>systems connected to multiple different ports.
[..]
>Transmit Hash Policy: layer2 (0)

Does this mean source or destination MAC address?  If the former, this
perfectly explains your observed load-balancing mismatch.

Either way, your Brocade switch is obviously only able to balance its
own output traffic; it does not select what port it receives traffic
on.  As you didn't include the output line for the first port in your
cut&pasted CLI output I assume that it balances ok, so there is no
problem with your Brocade switch.  This may not be the best list to
debug Linux LACP implementation details for you.

	-- Niels.