[f-nsp] Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Mar 21 19:37:31 EDT 2019

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019, Dennis op de Weegh wrote:

> The XMR and MLXe are limited to 786432 IPv4 routes and 65536 for IPv6 (ipv4-ipv6-2 profile)
> If you want more routes you need -X2 linecards.
>
> The IPv4 table and IPv6 tables are close to limit from the XMR/MLXe -x cards (+-757166 ipv4 and +-65239 ipv6)
> That is why you get the cam profile warnings.

It seems Brocade was even worse than Cisco (1M routes on the 3bxl), in
that their 1M route cards are really 1M routes - 2x v6 routes - about
100000 TCAM slots for other misc uses, and you can't fine tune the v4/v6
split.  I finally got a chance to do some messing around with a lab XMR
with full BGP feeds, and was I think I found is:

system-max settings dealing with max numbers of ip[v6]-route/cache affect
what the router is willing/able to store in RIB, but the cam-partition
profile affects what can be stuffed in FIB, and other than selecting
between the various cam-partition profiles, the TCAM carving between v4/v6
is not flexible (or if it is, that's a hidden command).  So, for a
full-table router, the only cam-partition profile of any use is
ipv4-ipv6-2, and that profile may or may not hold a "full" table today
depending on the exact size of your full table.

Or in other words, the MLX/XMR is dead or very nearly there for anyone
needing full v4 & v6 tables.