Need replacement meter cover

William Lockwood wwl at AXESS.COM
Fri Aug 29 20:55:38 EDT 1997

Hi Gang! This is the next installment in the continuing meter cover saga.
After I couldn't get an address for Weston Instruments (since resolved by
Joel W7PDX) I took a look at my IM-18 and discovered that that movement was
manufactured by Simpson Electric Co. The meter cover was identical to my
AV-3. I immediatly fired off an e-mail asking if replacements were
available. Within 15 minutes I received a long distance call from Simpson.
The long and short of which was that Heath only purchased the movements from
Simpson and some other company manufactured the meter case. Unfortunately he
could not tell me the name of the company. That explains why the  covers for
the two meters were exactly the same although they had movements by
different companies. Do we have a former Heath purchasing agent with a long
memory out there.
My IM-18 manual mentions the fact that the polystyrene cover "is available
separately in case of accidental damage" . I guess they all wound up on that
big Texas trash pile. Unless somebody has some further information, I guess
we are stuck with our old and ugly covers......somebody out there have an
injection molding facility?

Regards, Bill

I too am looking for a replacement "lens" for the meter of an AV-3 Audio
VTVM I'm restoring. I think mine is beyond the removal of scratches. It has
gone yellow, has a crack and a piece missing out of one corner. These
movements were made for Heath by Weston Instruments. Does anyone know if
Weston are still in business? I tried to look for them on the net to no
avail. The last address I have was for Newark, NJ. A search in the online
Yellow pages drew a blanc. All the usual parts suppliers seem to be selling
other makes of panel meters.

My problem would be solved if someone has an AV-3 (with the meter cover
intact) they would like to sell.

Regards, Bill