Breathing life into an Apache

Bill Coleman N2BC n2bc at IBM.NET
Mon Jul 7 02:53:06 EDT 1997

I appended a couple days back about the VFO gearing - thanks to all who
responded.

The problem was a heavy 'gear' feel to the VFO. It turned out to be a
combination of 30
years of crud on the shafts and a way over-tensioned idler.  After a cleaning,
careful lube,
and relaxing the idler spring a bit, the VFO is smooooooth!

Brought up the low B+ yesterday. At abt 200V the VFO screen dropping resistor
gave up
all it's pent up smoke.  Bad feed thru on the VFO box. Did a first pass
calibration on the VFO,
all is well there now.

Our local parts emporium ruined my weekend by being closed on Saturday.  Want
to replace
the corroded toggle switches.  That's now scheduled for tomorrow along with
tickling the 700V
B+ a bit.  Need to get the front panel back on - there's 250V on the case of
the drive pot when you
forget to clip-lead it to ground!  OUCH!

Here's another question for the 'viewers' of this list...   Does the final amp
section fan blow
air DOWN into the cage or suck air UP thru the bottom??  It looks like it blows
down. My fan
is roasted.  Will likely mount a thin muffin fan right over the 6146s and draw
air UP.  Comments??

Haven't had this much fun since getting hooked up across the B+ on my original
Apache back
in 1964!   Hope y'all had a great weekend.

73, Bill

Bill Coleman (N2BC)
Email: n2bc at ibm.net