Front panel renovations

Rick Lutzinger rickl at LATHROPENG.COM
Wed Sep 3 11:02:16 EDT 1997

At 07:51 AM 9/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm sure many of us have that favorite rig, now functioning
>beautifully, however the front panel has become worn with
>sometimes hard to read lettering. In my case it's an SB310 (
>cousin to the SB300 series). Apparently a close match paint is
>available judging from posts to this group. So, how does one
>tackle the white lettering? My thoughts at this point are the
>possibilities of using transfer lettering available at most
>office supply stores. With methodical application of the
>lettering (careful selection of size and font) followed by an
>overcoat of a clear semi-gloss sealer,it may be possible to
>rejuvenate a worn panel.
>
>Questions: Has anybody had any direct experience with the paint
>offered by R&R Designs (Heath, Johnson, Collins, etc. matching
>paint) or others? Good match? Has anyone in the group undertaken
>a similar project?
>
>Please respond to the group as there may be considerable interest
>in this topic. I would like to hear your thoughts.
>
>                          Mike (KE4HBA)

Mike and the group,

Another technique that works very well, albeit a little more costly, is to
have the nomenclature engraved into the front panel and then filled.  I have
done this on several restorations and the result is a better looking panel
than the original.  The easiest way to accomplish this is to have the
engraving done prior to stripping the panel.  That way the engraver can just
use the existing silkscreened information as a template for location,  font
size and style.  After engraving the panel, strip it and repaint it, and
then return it to the engraver for filling in the letters with the
appropriate color.  This is by far the simplest approach to getting a
professional looking panel again.  Of course another silkscreen job would
look good too, but the cost would be even higher.  Good luck.

Rick
Rick Lutzinger KD6ZR                            email (work): rickl at lathropeng.com
647 Choctaw Drive                               email (home): rjlutz at home.com
Fremont, CA 94539