SB 401/301 problem

GeiselD GeiselD at AOL.COM
Mon May 4 22:21:11 EDT 1998

In a message dated 5/4/98 8:33:27 PM Central Daylight Time, kb5wwo at JUNO.COM
writes concerning low output on USB/LSB of his SB-401 cabled to SB-301

> One other part that I forgot,This happens only in SSB.     CW is full
>  output.

George - you are getting some good hints but the BFO doesn't necessarily have
to be off freqency, it could just be low output.  The receiver BFO is not used
in the CW mode.  The fact that the unit works at full output in CW is a clue
that the problem is associated with the receipt of the BFO signal from the RX.
The HFO and VFO must be OK or you would not have output in CW.

It is routine to have to retune the RX BFO when using the cables. They do
heavily load the circuit, even if the proper low capacity cable is used (RG-62
as I remember).  The use of something like RG-58 will likely put you out of
business.

>  I have a problem,can someone help me out.My brain can't take it anymore.
>  If I connect my 401 to an antenna without the jumpers connected to the
>  301,it will putout full power. Now when I connect the 301 to the 401 the
>  output is very little,about 10watts. Now I am not using it inthe
>  transcieve mode,and I do not have the patch cords connected to use in the
>  transcieve mode.

I don't quite follow you here. I assume that when you say patch cords are
connected but not for use as transcieve.  If not, why are they connected?  If
you leave the switch in "TRAN" mode, then the internal BFO oscillators are
used and the cables have no function. If this is the case, you must have the
internal USB and LSB crystals installed under the chassis.  They are not stock
and were part of the 401-1 option pack.

Assuming that you really are operating in "TRCV" mode. The most like cause of
the problem you describe is improper tuning of the receiver BFO, perhaps
brought on by the use of high capacity cables.

Let us know how you make out. Everyone loves a good mystery. -73 Darwin K5DOA

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH