Star Roamer & Other Regens

Frank J. Jershe w0ely at SPACESTAR.NET
Wed May 5 02:29:57 EDT 1999

I, too, have a Star Roamer. I paid more for it used than it sold for new!
It plays great even when it's not turned on. I've considered selling it,
but every time I look at it, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that is worth
more than money can buy. I really believe that most, if not all of the old
radios, don't really sound better than the new ones, but they have memories
attached of "those good old days & good times gone by" which makes them
sound better even if there isn't any power applied to them. After all, we
only have one life to live, and should enjoy while we still are able.

Another ham friend and I were at a hamfest. He spotted a mint "XYZ"
receiver which was the same as the first radio he received from his parents
when he was 8 years old. I don't even remember the make and model as it was
not a "popular" and/or a collector model (I haven't seen another one since
then). Once I heard the story from my friend, and the "excitement,
enthusiasm, & caring" he placed in his voice and body language as he told
the story, I was convinced that he had to buy it. The ham selling the radio
was someone that I had known for a long time. He said it worked as good as
it looked and that he had gone over it component wise to replace caps, etc
and align it. That was even more reason for my friend to buy it! It took me
half an hour to convince him that buying that receiver for $50 would become
one of the best buys he ever made. (Money wasn't an object to him, the
shirt he was wearing cost more than $50, he just thought that it would be a
waste of money as it wasn't really that good of a receiver!). That was five
years ago! Ever since then, all he ever says when he sees me is that it was
the best $50 purchase he ever made ... and the receiver sets right next to
the $20,000+ of the newest & top of the line ham equipment in his shack.
According to him, that receiver makes him feel good even if he's feeling
bad, and it even does it without electricity being applied to it... and of
course, it sounds better than all of the new equipment...just ask him! Enjoy

Frank  W0ELY

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH