REGEN kits you can Build today!

Fred Finster Fred_Finster at EL.NEC.COM
Wed May 5 17:08:11 EDT 1999

http://www.chelmsford.com/bars/regenproj.htm

This is the kind of note, I like to read!!  Enjoyed it very much, because it
places emphasis on
feelings we receive when talking with each other over the air.
My first rig was a HW-7  in 1976 with a 40M dipole.  I used 40 & 15 and had
a lot of fun!!
Still have the rig some place in storage.  Borrowed a HW-7 for
QRP to the Field (QRPTTF) contest on April 24th 1999 and made 4 contacts.
Well 4 is a %400 percent
improvement over the 0 contacts in 1998 contest.

Last night I was playing with a PIXIE 2 WA6BOY design
from Halted Electronics  http://www.halted.com  for $9.95 on 3.6864 Mhz
crystal.   Novices and Tech Pluses
can easily get on the air and talk across town with this rig.   Remember a
Tuned Antenna is important for
this RIG to work, properly.  You might try several turns of wire around your
Bedroom Wall for an indoor antenna.  If you are short of the $1000 for a HF
rig, this is a simple start.
Even $100 is sometimes hard to come up with.  Lot of Lawns to mow for $100.

WB6FLD Rick & I were
testing our PIXIE 2s with each other.   See WE6W hints at
http://www.qsl.net/WE6W on building PIXIE.  See also the KnightLites Web
page on
the  surface mount PIXIE kit, with hints and kinks.
Find KnightLites WEB under Norcal Home page --> WEB sites --> QRP Clubs
I was transmitting from Sunnyvale CA first with a Kenwood TS820-S at about
20 Watts while waiting for RICK to
solder a capacitor on his PIXIE rig, and  K7VPK answered my call from
Fallon, NV.
I then switched over to the PIXIE at 0.200 Watts  (that is 200 milliWatts).
K7VPK could still copy me solid on the PIXIE!!??  Can you believe that!
I was flabberghasted.  The needle on the MFJ949E Tuner was barely moving,
like flickering in a breeze from
0 to 0.2 W on the 30W scale (smallest).   My Antenna was a Horizontal Loop
Triangle about 270 Feet Long
up 25-40 Feet high, feed with 450 ladder line and a Antenna Tuner.   This
was an exciting memory for me.  I was just using the PIXIE as a Transmitter.
Even thought K7VPK signal was +20 over 9, I still need to make changes to
hear better on the PIXIE.

Now for the Regen Tie-in,  Ten-TEC does sell a REGEN kit that has a good
reputation.  http://www.tentec.com
They have other simple kits, too.
If you like homebrew check out this site and build your own REGEN receiver.
Heathkit is not around, but you can still have plenty of excitement and fun
building a REGEN project like this, today.
http://www.chelmsford.com/bars/regenproj.htm
Then we could share ideas today, on how well or how not well, REGENs work as
receivers with the ones we
built ourselves.

Fred Finster  WB7ODY
e-mail:  Fred_Finster at el.nec.com  Web Site
http://members.aol.com/fredf/
Tech Staff Engineer  (408) 588-5726  FAX (408) 588-5464
NEC Electronics Windows CE Architecture Labs
2880 Scott Blvd.  M/S SC2202
PO BOX  58062
Santa Clara  CA 95052-8062

ps.  other links can be found at relating to kits and supplies under WEB
SITES
http://www.fix.net/norcal.html  Northern California  QRP club web site.
http://members.aol.com/BeagleBaly/  Pictures Crystal Sets, even the HeathKit
CR1!!
http://www2.wcoil.com/~buckeye/     Buckeye  Electonics  parts
http://members.aol.com/wb7ody/  Someday, I will have some pictures from
QRPTTF here.

http://www.west.net/~wpc                A $10 straight key for your PIXIE, MK-22
                                                or paddles for your Electronic Keyer, MK-44

http://www.frontiernet.net/~embres      An improved version of the PIXIE with
with
the TICK chip for $15
                                                called the TIXIE from Embedded Research.

http://members.localnet.com/~wa1sov/PisWeakers/pisweakers_main.html   HUMOR
and song about Weak Signals :>)

http://www.hamradio-online.com     SOME Home Brew construction articles

Fredric Newman [Cosmic96 at AOL.COM],  I enjoyed your article & reflections,
too.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH