Heathkit for learning electronics (CPU, etc..)

Seth Koster qtc333 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 13 20:16:35 EDT 1999

  Hi,

     I am a young person who is extremely interested in learning about
electronics.   I program in Assembly for the x86 family of processors, but I
am getting quite interested in the hardware from a hands-on approach, not
only from a programming perspective.   I have found a website where I can
buy various Heath items, such as:

ETW-3600 Analog Trainer

ETW-3700 Digital Trainer

ETW-3800 Microprocessor Trainer

ETW-3400-A Microprocessor Trainer

ETW-100 Analog/Digital Trainer

     Actually, they will get me in touch with manufacturers since they can
only seem to sell to educators in a limited area.
     My questions are:

1)  Remembering that I am on a limited budget, but that I would rather use
one kit for a good while instead of running out of possibilities and having
to buy a new kit for further experimentation, what would be a good trainer
to buy?   I'm pretty familiar with the basic hardware (and some of the
advanced hardware) of CPUs, and I've always been handy.   I used to wire
micro-chips for my dad when I was around 11 or 12, so its not like I will be
spending all that long on the basics, I'd imagine.

2)  Is there any good on-line (or fairly inexpensive paper-copy) information
about possible experiments/learning projects?

3)  Is this list the right place for this, or am I bugging people with stuff
they could not care less about (IE: Would this be a good place to ask for
advice, tips, etc.. once I start on my personal electronics education, or am
I already getting on someone's last nerve)?

4)  Is a Heathkit the best (least expensive and most useful) trainer I can
buy, or should I widen my search to include other brands?   If so, what
other brands are there?

5)  If I were to find a used course packet, would it have enough instruction
so that I could avoid spending the several thousand dollars for the personal
instruction deals I've seen offered?

     Thanks for any information!!!

Regards,
Seth