Tight SB tuning??

Joe joeamp at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Apr 6 19:38:33 EDT 2000

I would remove the tuning knob and slide the slip drive up so it rides the dial just right without slipping.
In my case I cleaned everything up carefully with a box of Q tips and used some white lithium grease, its the smoothest anyone's turned.
The grease also saves the brass drive disks, a common near fatal problem when they thin out and go.
Also see that the wiring harness is not rubbing down below the dial
  -----Original Message-----
  From: KD2E <ham at CYBERCOMM.NET>
  To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
  Date: Thursday, April 06, 2000 4:32 PM
  Subject: Tight SB tuning??

  Hi folks...Anyone been through this already.
  On SB (102,401,301,etc.)'s I have noticed that often the tuning knob is
  overly tight. I have one that is silky smooth, but most are anoyingly too tight.
  There are no adjustments, and the pressure that various wheels push on other wheels is not the cause.
  Could it a greese dried tuning cap, or perhaps the adjustment that is at the end of the tuning cap is too tight?
  Has anyone been there, done that??
  Thanks....Dave