arrl

Ed Mosher wa8zvo at JUNO.COM
Thu Apr 27 21:19:07 EDT 2000

Jack, and all Heath list members:  In case you haven't heard, please read
the ARRL bulletin below.  Their site was hi-jacked this week!

Ed

**********************************

NEWINGTON, CT, Apr 25, 2000--Access to the ARRL Web site
(http://www.arrl.org/) was disrupted early Monday by an unknown
individual
when those attempting to connect to the site were shunted to another
site,
apparently in Canada. Some who attempted to access the site today were
greeted by an obscene message and the statement "Pirate radio for life,
baby."

ARRL Information Services Department Manager Don Durand said the League's
"arrl.org" domain name was illegally modified at Network Solutions--which
registers domain names--and redirected to the bogus site. "Network
Solutions
was promptly notified of the illegal change, and they, in turn, returned
our
record to the correct settings," Durand said.

While Network Solutions was alerted to the problem yesterday morning,
Durand
said it takes up to 48 hours for the various name servers on the Internet
to update their records. "At this time, we're simply waiting for that
propagation to be completed," he said.

The ARRL Web site itself was not "hacked," and no ARRL files were damaged
as
a result of the vandalism. "Our domain was hijacked at Network
Solutions,"
Durand emphasized. "At no time was our Web server compromised."

The vandalism did disrupt e-mail service to League staff and officials,
however. Mail service was returning as servers were updated. The ARRL
E-Mail
Forwarding Service was not affected.

ARRL President Jim Haynie, W5JBP, said the League intends to investigate
the
disruption through all possible means. Haynie promised that the
perpetrators, if caught, would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
law.

Forwarded by:

                                     Ed Mosher, WA8ZVO at Juno.com
                                Formerly  "One Of The HAMS At HEATH"
                        ARRL Life Member

                        The most important things in our lives are NOT
things!

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov