Eico

Mark cwdx at EROLS.COM
Sun Dec 31 12:15:11 EST 2000

Eddy,
The Eico service was bad too.  I bought the 753 as a new general in 1974 from
an older ham who said it was in great shape.  Of course he didn't mention the
drift, the fact that the balanced modulator circuit was messed up and also
that the final plate choke was shot.  The ham who sold it to me
basically denied the problems.

So, being a 14 year old, and not that savvy with circuits, I sent it to Eico
for repair.  Well, it came back $100 later with all the same problems.
My father wrote a letter to the president saying this was a poor way to
treat your customers and they finally fixed all but the VFO.

As for the articles about fixing the VFO, the VFO was basically poorly
designed
and was subject to too much heat.  So, some people subbed a xtal oscillator
for one frequency operation, some even outboarded a VFO.

I spent a lot of time with that rig, and, must say, IT STINKS!!!

Give me a HW 100 any day!
73,
Mark N1MG

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov