UPS observations[via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

Mike Morris morris at COGENT.NET
Sun Jul 9 02:33:54 EDT 2000

At 11:07 PM 07/08/2000 , you wrote:
>I remember back in the '60's, Railway Express did the same thing that UPS is
>now doing: things got stolen and broken a lot, especially electronic
>equipment.  I believe Railway Express went out of business, didn't it?

Nope.
After the UPS strike a number of companies did some serious thinking.
FedEx realized that they had a market opportunity in truck delivery so
they purchased Railway Express and started to build it up.

>My UPS man says things just haven't been the same since the strike.  Poor
>service, rough handling, etc.
>
>Recently there was a TV program (America's Stupidest Criminals, I think it
>was) which showed a surveillance video of a UPS employee sorting boxes in a
>truck and stealing whatever he wanted.  I couldn't believe how he was
>throwing the boxes around.  It seemed really unnecessary.  He wasn't really
>saving any time by doing it that way.  He just did it because he had
>contempt for the customers.
>
>Bill Crowell, N6AYJ

I've switched my shipping from UPS to anything else (usually Parcel Post)
as much as possible.  Not because of anything mentioned in this comment
thread, but because of what they did to the ham radio operators a while
back - they engineered the theft of 220-222mhz from the hams.

Almost every ham I know has influenced as many people and companies as they
know to make UPS last on their shipping preferences instead of first - UPS
has lost a HUGE amount of business.

Mike

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633