Trolling For Auctions

Malcolm Leonard rosinfumes at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 21 02:31:02 EDT 2000

 Your arguement is one of the oddest I have ever heard..It is advertising that leads people to find and subesequently influences them to purchase a particular product.The whole  basic key to the entire economic system is advertising.Whether that advertising is done on this list or at ebay,it is stilll advertising.Without it there would be no prosperity as we know and enjoy it in America.

Advertising is the very blood of the economic success flowing through the veins of our country.My God,man............ have you been living like a hermit in some cave somewhere?Do you really think so haphazard a system as depending on each person to somehow stumble onto whatever product he might need,could have produced this great American economy?

This is not 1860.We don't live in the woods anymore with just one general store  ten miles down the road to fill our endless and varied needs to buy and own things.

Malcolm Leonard

  "Harvey A. Kader" <optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET> wrote:
People should be aware that on-line auctions have rules which FORBID
shill bidding. This is where the seller bids on his own auction or has a
friend or relative do the same, just to drive the bids up. So with shill
bidding, free market forces can't act on the auction. In other words the
auction becomes contaminated with fake bids and the bids are therefore
biased upwards.

Trolling on this Heathkit list BY THE SELLER for Heathkit items listed
on an auction is SIMILAR to shill bidding because the activity does not
allow free market forces to operate. Free market forces means that
people discover the auctioned item on their own - they are not PROMPTED
into finding the item, which is what trolling does. So trolling should
also be forbidden, and NOT ALLOWED on the list.

The legal reason that trolling should be outlawed is CONFLICT OF
INTEREST. Trolling INTERFERS with the normal free market operation of
on-line auctions.

Only people who have NO CONNECTION WHATSOEVER to the item under auction
should be allowed to draw our attention to it.

Harvey.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov