Help - Zero Beat

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Fri Mar 24 02:45:08 EST 2000

Jim;
What you describe sounds like an AM receiver that beats against both
sidebands. In a SSSC (Single Sideband Suppressed Carrier) system, the
tone should go only from high to low and nothing past the low tone. The
missing carrier is where the tone gets too low to hear. Sometimes with a
fast AGC you can see the beat in the S-meter. Zero beat is where the
meter slows down and stops moving. This is the silence you are looking
for. It does not go up again because the other sideband is missing. Good
luck.
Ed Richards

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov