Unbuilt Kits

john johnmb at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Sep 14 18:12:48 EDT 2000

At 09:18 AM 9/14/00 -0500, Sandy Blaize wrote:
>        I always wondered "WHY" people collect these boxes full of parts.
>To me it serves no purpose whatever.  The only value to these people is
>the "rarity" of a sealed box containing the parts.  It has NO OTHER value
>to them.

        Hi Sandy
        I disagree. I have a friend in the area who has quite a number of
unbuilt kits, many of them Heath. His goal is to preserve for future
generations,
perhaps the only examples of "the way things were".....what it felt like to
open
a heath box, and see all those little bags of components....all the metal
stampings
neatly packed in and around the other parts. What exactly the Heath and kit
building experience was like from the beginning.
        I dont think he gives a hoot about the investment potential... but I
sure do appreciate him keeping the time capsules.
        As for the parts turning to dust, there's no way that parts sitting
unused in a box are going to deteriorate any faster or slower than parts
sitting soldered together in a cabinet (with the possible exception of
Al.Electrolytics). It'll all turn to dust eventually, but not before I do.

        I'm grateful that someone has the ability and interest to keep certain
things JUST the way they were, so that years later, others will be able to
see JUST the way these things came to life....

        73 to all
        John

John Brewer - WB5OAU/4
AMI #24