SB-104

JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU) eb5agv at CTV.ES
Fri Apr 6 08:09:00 EDT 2001

Hello!

>I was first exposed to ham radio in the late 60's.  The high school club
>station had the Heathkit Sugar Baker line-up.  RCA phono plug terminated
>cables are used for xmtr to linear amp, xmtr to rcvr to rcvr   , etc
>connections.  Hallicrafters and SBE also used them.

And don't forget Collins S-line and KWM-2 transmitters, also fitted with
the RCA connector... There was a thread about this some years ago in a
Collins list. It seems that _good_ RCA connectors (ceramic insulation and
so on) _are_ able to withstand RF without trouble. I have an S-3 line and a
KWM-2A and have been using them with the RCA jobs without any noticeable
trouble for years... But, I should admit that I would prefer the typical PL
connector. But, on the other hand, I will not change them both to keep them
'standard' and because they have worked fine for me.

Just my 0.02 Euro worth (which, in fact, is less than 0.02 $ ;-) )

JOSE