What is the point of reserve price auctions vs. minimumacceptable starting bid?

Mike D. hrg at CIFNET.COM
Thu Oct 25 11:12:46 EDT 2001

Auction psychology is what makes them successful. I have auctioned
commercial and residential real estate, so I have some experience in public
outcry auctions. Those without reserve generate a tremendous amount of
interest.

My opinion (and practice) has been to sell items on eBay with a very low
minimum bid and without reserve. This would work best on popular items,
where you can guarantee interest. You have to have some faith in the system.
I have never been disappointed using this technique. The bidding will start
early in the auction and there will be a lot of bids. As a buyer, you know
that someone will end up purchasing the item. It normally will result in a
higher sales price than a high minimum bid or a reserve auction.

73 de Mike, N9BOR
FISTS MAC SMC SOC ZUT
http://www.qsl.net/n9bor
MAC http://www.qsl.net/mac

di dah dit - The only Roger Beep you'll ever need.
My designated driver is a 12BY7A.