Opinions needed-SB-200 - Modifiy or not

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 17 17:48:03 EDT 2001

Ray - Good afternoon....Not sure how many responses you have received but I
will offer my opinion for what it's worth (FWIW).

I am one who is not necessarily interested in getting a piece of gear and then
finding every available modification possible and adding/changing it
immediately.  So this response will be from a perspective of "if it works, then
leave it alone".  I have many articles with modifications for both the SB-200
and SB-220 including the documentation on the Harbach mods which another
individual has taken over the business left by Allen (he is now an SK).  All
these mods are very good and do, from a more modern knowledge perspective,
assist in keeping the amplifier in either a cooler or more efficient or more
protective state.  So each modification has it's own merits....some are less
"overall" important with only minor advantages.  The Harbach mods are good, if
you find you need them.

Just to name a few (as I do not have all the ones he did available at my
fingertips)...the newer fan is good provided you need more air flow...my shack
is located in the basement and I have air conditioning or heat and have a few
extra fans I run in the shack now, so adding a newer bigger fan, I do not feel
is necessary.  The power supply module is good if you have a problem with your
amplifier power supply...I don't have problems with mine at this time, so I
have not added the specific mod.  Same with the soft start and the others.  I
run the SB-200 "occasionally" with my TS-940 as an exciter and find that it
cables to & runs fine just as it is...no additions.

So to each his own....the mods are good, very good and have certainly breathed
good life into those units which need them.  I'm sure there are hundreds if not
thousands of SB-200's out there like mine that have been operating fine with no
extra mods since they were built; same with ones who have lots of mods.  So,
hope this helps.

73, Larry, KC8JX
St. Joseph, Mi
--- Ray F <rayfri at NETWORLD.COM> wrote:
> Hey fellow lovers of the Heath:
> Interested in your opinions and experiences.  I have a very good condition
> SB200 amp which I am getting ready to put into service.  It is unmodified....
> no Harbach's... no nothing else... just a plain old sb 200.  I've seen lots
  mentioned about the Harbach mods on here and other mods elsewhere and am just

  wondering... are they mainly  for operating convenience... or do they somehow

  extend the life of the amp in some way...?
> Were all these mods designed to fix "deficiencies" that were discovered
> to have been left  by Heathkit through no fault of theirs?  I guess what I'm
> wondering is, will I be missing anything and taking a chance on anything
> if I just use it as designed by Heath without any mods?   Present plans
> call for using it with my sb303/401 combo for the station I've dreamed of
  since I was a Novice. Also with my newly acquired sb100.  Possibly with a
  Drake T4X as well.
> Ray  wa7itz

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's